Sunday, June 2, 2013

Getting my edumacation! Learn me a book.


Today I attended "An Introduction to Digital SLRs" at "Camera Eye Workshops" (http://www.cameraeyeworkshops.com/).
It was a 4 hour workshop and, let me tell you, I got my money's worth!  The instructor, Chris Sanchez (https://www.facebook.com/chrissanchezphoto) was beyond great.  He explained everything very well to a small group of people with nice cameras that didn't know how to use them.
The class started with a little history of photography (such as who took the very first photograph) and how cameras work. Then he explained ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, White Balance, Manual and Auto Zoom, etc, etc.
At first I felt so lost and I had the feeling that I would never be able to remember it all.  But, 2 hours into the class, I just GOT IT!  I GOT IT!
From now on, I will shoot in Manual, Raw Medium.  I can't see myself using the Auto setting anymore.
I am sure I will make mistakes at first, but I am excited to finally understand my camera and what it is doing!
We practiced taking a lot of pictures and were able to see what happens when we shoot with different settings.
Chris would tell us to put our camera in a specific setting, then take a picture that would come out horrible (over exposed, too dark, too blurry), then he would tell us to correct the settings ourselves and take a good picture.  He would then look at our photos and comment on them.
We did it several times, and the hands-on practice helped a ton!
In the end, for about 30 minutes, he talked about editing our photos in Photoshop, which was also super helpful.
Here are some examples (all shot in manual mode, all unedited):
Overexposed
Better!  (Perfect, if I say so myself.)

Chris gave us specific settings and told us to take a picture of him.  This is what happened.
He then told us to correct our settings ourselves.
First try: better, but still overexposed.
I got it on my second try.
Taking pictures in a shadow.  Too dark.
Got it!
Learning to take non-blurry pictures of a moving object in a shadowy area.  Pretty good!
Getting comments from Chris.
My picture that I took at the end of class.  Manual mode.

Overall, I learned a lot, and I highly recommend this class to anyone who lives in the Boston area!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember the golden rule.