Friday, August 8, 2014

Updates

At the end of G's Kindergarten year, we received a very detailed report (several pages long) about how things are going with him.
He's doing everything at first grade level.  He is reading and writing sentences and has a very good grasp on all things math.
He is done with occupational therapy.  His speech will be evaluated again at the beginning of the year to see if there is any improvement on his R pronunciation (medial and final sounds only, he pronounces R perfectly in the initial parts of the word).  If there is still a problem then he will start speech therapy at school. The teacher said there are 3 kids in his Kindergarden class that cannot pronounce "R" correctly.
Interestingly, it was noted that coloring and drawing isn't his thing at all.  It is totally true and has always been true, yet he still asked to continue his drawing lessons at the local art school, so I did sign him up for another semester starting in September.
He will also be in gymnastics, swimming and piano.  We are also planning on trying a couple more fun things this year.  Not sure how I will be able to do it all with the new baby.  I will be driving the kids around all the time.  I do pick everything in our town or towns right next to us.  I do not want to be on the road for longer than 15 minutes each way. 8-10 minutes is ideal.
I am absolutely not ready for G to be in 1st grade.  Not sure where the time has gone.
G is in a summer academic program right now (5 weeks), which is ending soon.  He goes Monday-Thursday for 3.5 hours.  They do a lot of things there and he says it is very fun.  They also do math, reading, writing and science.
I am impressed with everything.  For example, the teachers read them a story and the kids write on a piece of paper why they liked the story.  I didn't know how to write sentences at his age, so G's work is pretty amazing to me.  He only misspells hard words, like "because" and "caught".  Of course, there are no grades and only praise from the teachers.
In general, schools are very good here.  The administration is another story.  But, from now on, I have no plans of being involved in anything school related (even though I was asked to be on the PTO this year), so things will be easier for me.

IMG_5376

IMG_5379

IMG_5384
We got so many sweet strawberries.  We ate a lot of them and made many, many jars of strawberry jam.  Perfection!
IMG_5373
Taking a very short cruise to Canada. I didn't want to go anywhere for too long, just in case I would go into preterm labor again. Maybe next year, depending on my sanity after raising 3 kids for a while.

IMG_5374
The ocean looks calm, but it was very windy! Annika was afraid to take pictures outside. She was afraid of going overboard. I understand her fear!

IMG_5404

The kids got gymnastics medals!!! They LOVE gymnastics!

IMG_5413

We also went to "Story Land" and "Santa's Village" again this year. The kids had a blast. I only took a couple of pictures.  
Annika got so lucky this year! She had a tea party with Cinderella and then they rode the pumpkin carriage together to Cinderella's castle. So many memories!

IMG_5421

IMG_5424

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember the golden rule.